Ame's Blog

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Oh, I dunno.....

I had sort-of a vision in Sunday School a couple of weeks ago. I envisioned seeing the view of the world on Sunday morning from God’s perspective (as if I can even imagine His perspective). It was as if I were looking down on the world…….and people were all walking into churches. And, I felt sad. God felt sad. People were walking into churches and closing the doors behind them. I’ve been holding this thought in my mind, trying to figure out what would really be sad about people going to church. People go to church to worship God, right? Or……..is that the problem. Why do we go to church? I’ve had these anti-church feelings welling up inside of me for several months now. And, I think my problem is how the word “church” is used. What is a church? A building that we go to, where there is a cross hanging on the back wall, where we sing songs and listen to a sermon? Why would I want to participate in that? Where is God in all of it? Oh, I know He’s there. But, does everyone else? Do the people sitting in the pews know that He’s right beside them? Does the pastor realize that the words he is speaking are representative of the very God who wants to reach the people through him? Or is it all a show? Do the church-goers want to impress each other and the pastor with their “good” lives? I mean, they are at “church”, right? Is there a secret contest between pastors to see who can grow the biggest church? I think that it saddens God that instead of us waking up in the morning and embracing Him and His love, we rush off to a building we call “church”. A responsibility. A recreational facility. We walk away from our relationship with the Father. I’m not saying that going to “church” is a bad thing. I just think we all need to readjust our thoughts on what the church really is. God’s Church. God’s people. People who love the Lord and love each other. It’s more simple than we make it. Come as you are WHERE you are. Don’t close the door of the church on Him (metaphorically speaking). Take Him with you wherever you go. Better yet, go where He’s at!

5 Comments:

Blogger Dena G said...

Amen, amen, AMEN.

I am SO right there with you. I had an absolutely amazing "God experience" in a KFC in Gulfport the other night--it was ALL about taking God with us where we were...I can honestly say it was one of the defining moments of my life. I'm going to blog about it as soon as I have time.

3:31 PM, September 06, 2007  
Blogger Julie said...

OH
MY
GOODNESS
!

I'm right there with you, sista! Personally I'm sick of sitting in church and...well, lately all I've been doing is sitting. I've tried to worship in church, and I can't seem to get there. I have my most awesome worship moments in the car driving to Evansville or back home where it's just me and God...because I am the church. You are the church. We are the church. Not some building where we go every Sunday just because it's Sunday and we're having a service. Not some building that we're trying to get rid of and build a bigger one so we can have more people inside the "church" and not out ministering like Jesus would do. We want them in our own comfortable place to minister to them and...I think I'd better stop or I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Let me just sign off with this note...Jesus didn't say come to my church all who are weary and heavy laden. He said, Come to ME all who are weary and heavy laden. (hmm...I think that's a blog subject. lol)

We need to chat sometime, but it'll probably wait till after the wedding!! Love ya!

8:40 PM, September 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our pastor just spoke to us about this very same topic a couple of weeks ago. He feels GOD is moving "the church" out of the four walls we have always considered "the church" and is bringing it to the people. He's preparing us for what He is about to do across this country. Perhaps because assembling together will no longer be enough or maybe prohibited??? One questions "why the change now" but I believe GOD is putting that whole idea into the hearts of believers to prepare them for what He is about to do. Watch out world!! Now you'll never know where He'll show up!

7:24 PM, September 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

opps! that anonymous user was me

7:26 PM, September 11, 2007  
Blogger Geoff said...

:)

1:13 PM, September 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home